Bacon and eggs are usually part of any classic breakfast. Most people just can’t say no to a good bacon and egg breakfast. In this twist, you can delight your guests with a yummy twist on the breakfast classic by adding a few extra ingredients and baking it in a pie crust. YUMMY. Makes 6-8 pieces of pie.
What you’ll need:
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crispy
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup creamy goat cheese
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 4 eggs + 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 325oF.
- In a small pan over medium heat, fry onions with a tablespoon of butter. Cook onions until they are clear and soft.
- Turn off heat. Add goat cheese to pan with onions and stir until well mixed.
- Scrape mixture from pan into the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Once mixed, add dijon and salt and mix together.
- Pour egg mixture over the goat cheese and onions in the pie crust.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until mixture is loose on the top but getting firm around the edges. (You might want to cook it on a cookie sheet as my pie spilled over the edges a bit when I added the tomatoes in the next step).
- Break bacon into medium to small pieces and sprinkle over top of the egg mixture. Add tomatoes and distribute evenly around the pie.
- Bake in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Sprinkle with chives (optional) and serve with toast.
Plan a fantastic four course brunch using the FREE Breakfast with the Broads Brunch Planner. It comes complete with theme ideas, menu plans, shopping lists and recipes.
Get your Brunch Planner and Weekly Recipes by e-mail at the Breakfast with the Broads website.